Hi friends, I have a yummy recipe to share today! It’s perfect for the cold winter and is so simple and quick to make. I was craving chili so I turned to Pinterest and found the perfect white bean chili recipe here (bonus points that it was a two-person recipe). One of my requirements for a recipe is minimal ingredients, and this one passed the test! The only ingredients we didn’t have were the beans and sour cream, but those were easy to find in the grocery store (NYC grocery stores have a very limited selection!). To me it’s discouraging to find a great recipe and then realize it requires numerous hard to find ingredients. Not sure about you all, but I don’t have time for that, I’d rather just get takeout! Anyways, I also loved this recipe because it was created for two people. You could easily double, triple, or quadruple this recipe and have some yummy leftovers.
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 4-ounce can of MILD chopped green chiles (we excluded)
- 1 15-ounce can white beans (Great Northern Beans), drained & rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces (~1/2 cup) full-fat sour cream
- cilantro, for garnish (we excluded)
- First, add the chicken tenders and chicken stock to a small soup pot (I use a 4-quart pot). Bring to a simmer, turn off heat, cover and let cook all the way through, about 10 minutes. Check to ensure the chicken is done.
- Remove the chicken from the broth (reserve the broth for the soup!), and shred into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Wipe out the pan, and then add the oil and turn the heat to medium high.
- Add the diced onion to the pan, and cook while stirring occasionally until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the garlic and oregano on top, and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Next, add the green chilies, beans, salt, and pepper. Pour the reserved chicken broth and chicken back into the pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Just before serving, turn off the heat and stir in the sour cream.
- Divide the soup between two bowls, and serve with cilantro, chopped jalapeños, and more sour cream.
This recipe was so delicious, and we will definitely be making more again!! We added some tortilla chips to add a little crunch, but the chili by itself is so yummy. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think 🙂