I’ve always seen people make mug cakes, but never attempted to make one until I made this. I WAS MISSING OUT! This smells and tastes just like a chocolate muffin, but is full of protein. This mug cake is super low carb and protein packed, the perfect diet food when you’re craving something sweet. This would also be perfect for a post workout snack because it has quick digesting whey protein.
The ingredient list may seem like a lot, but it took less than five minutes to whip this up. Protein powder can really make or break a recipe, and I actually like this molten chocolate form Cellucor. I’m pretty choosy about which protein powder I use. I wouldn’t recommend the vanilla Cellucor for this recipe, but it’s fine in smoothies.
I made this a second time and baked it for a little less time (14 mins) and it turned into a lava cake. It was so delicious! I felt like I was actually eating a dessert instead of a protein packed mug cake. This picture doesn’t do it justice, but I would highly recommend trying this at home.
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder (can use any brand you like)
- 1 large egg
- 1 TBS almond flour
- 1 TBS Hershey cocoa powder (I used the special dark, but any kind will work)
- ¼ cup almond milk (can use regular milk)
- 1 TBS sweetener of choice
- ½ TSP baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Combine all dry ingredients
- Add in egg and almond milk (can add a little more almond milk depending on consistency, I didn’t have any issues)
- Mix until brownie like consistency, mine was a little
- Pour into small oven safe bowl
- Bake 12-15 minutes